Happy New Year! It’s an annual tradition here on Reel Librarians to take a quick look back at favorite posts from the past year before launching into the new year. It’s also good to keep trying new things, so this year, I decided it would be fun to explore a podcast format for this “year in review” post. And yes, this is the first-ever podcast produced by Reel Librarians!
For this podcast, I invited my spouse, Sam, to chat about our favorite Reel Librarians posts this past year. And a big shout-out to Sam for editing this podcast. ❤
Enjoy the first podcast for Reel Librarians!
Favorite posts of 2021 + a continuing goal for 2022
Spoiler alerts & sources
As I mentioned in the podcast, here’s a spoiler alert for plot points mentioned about 2021’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. (And please, do not share any spoilers on this post about Wong and the new Spider-Man: No Way Home movie — I will watch that movie once it’s available for streaming.)
This may seem like another spoiler, but I’m a librarian, so OF COURSE I have to credit my sources. Below I have added quick links to the posts that are referenced in the podcast — but you’ll have to listen to the podcast to discover in which context they’re mentioned and by whom!
FYI, some of the posts linked below are not necessarily our faves (or even published this past year!); let’s just say we had a wide-ranging conversation. 🙂 I’ve also arranged the post links below in alphabetical order by title, not necessarily in the order that they’re mentioned in the podcast.
- BONUS! Check out this ‘Fright Club: Library Horror’ podcast (Feb. 2021)
- BONUS! ‘Fright Club’ podcast redux: Librarians in horror films (Aug. 2021)
- A closer look at the library scene in ‘Hidden Figures’ (2016) (March 2021)
- First impressions: ‘Hidden Figures’ and its library scene (Feb. 2017)
- First impressions: Wong’s cameos in ‘Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings’ (2021) (Sept. 2021)
- ‘Just Cause’ to re-examine a Latina newspaper archivist portrayal (Oct. 2021)
- Librarians make their mark in ‘Prick Up Your Ears’ (1987) (June 2021)
- Lovecraft Country’s ‘A History of Violence’ and segregated libraries (Nov. 2021)
- Perspectives about Wong’s reel librarian character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (May 2021)
- The Quotable Librarian | Poetry excerpts from 10 poet-librarians (April 2021)
- The Quotable Librarian 9 | Inspirational quotes from famous librarians (May 2017)
- A reel librarian’s multi-faceted role in ‘Beautiful Creatures’ (2013) (Feb. 2021)
- Reel librarians of color, 2021 update (Jan. 2021)
- Thoughts after reading ‘Prick Up Your Ears’ biography (July 2021)
- Video lecture: ‘The African American Struggle for Library Equality: The Untold Story of the Julius Rosenwald Fund Library Program’ (Feb. 2021)
- Will reel librarian Wong return in ‘Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings’? (July 2021)
- “You went to the library” | The importance of library books in ‘Zodiac’ (June 2018)
What are your thoughts?
Did you enjoy this new podcast format? I have no intention of creating a regular podcast — I am most comfortable expressing myself through writing — but would you enjoy occasional or special podcasts on this blog? Do you have any sign-off catchphrases or podcast titles to suggest? (The nerdier, the better! 😉 ) Do you have any personal fave posts or themes from the blog this past year? Do you have any specific themes, ideas, questions, and/or reel librarian movies you would like me to explore in 2022? Please leave a comment and share.