More exciting news to share with y’all! Earlier this year, back in February, you may remember that I had been invited by George Wolf and Hope Madden of MaddWolf.com to join them on an episode of their Fright Club podcast, an episode that focused on memorable library moments in horror movies. We had so much fun that Hope and George invited me for a follow-up Fright Club podcast that would dive into memorable portrayals of librarians in horror movies (not just scenes set in libraries).
Well, that time has come. THIS IS NOT A DRILL, Y’ALL. 😉
Head on over to MaddWolf.com to listen to the new “Fright Club: Librarians in Horror” podcast episode, in which I re-join Hope and George to chat about memorable major librarian characters in horror films. I came to the table with my top 5 librarians in horror, and Hope and George shared their personal top 5 — and there was some overlap! We had so much fun chatting and laughing about librarians in horror movies, so check it out… if you dare!
Here’s a line from the podcast episode:
“You just sum it up in one sentence, and you just want to watch it: It’s a librarian by day, a chainsaw-wielding serial killer by night. I mean, that’s all you need!”From “Fright Club: Librarians in Horror” podcast, MaddWolf.com, 29 Aug. 2021
There are mannnnnnnny more awesome — or awesomely bad! — major reel librarian characters in horror movies that we didn’t have space for in the podcast. So as a teaser, below are a few additional titles that didn’t make my final list…
- The Dunwich Horror (1970) — I briefly mentioned this movie in my 2012 post about “Killer librarians“
- From a Whisper to a Scream (1987) — check out my 2014 analysis post for From a Whisper to a Scream here
- Horror of Dracula (1958) — check out my 2018 analysis post for Horror of Dracula here
- The Night Strangler (1973, TV movie) — check out my 2013 analysis post for The Night Strangler here
- Peeping Tom (1960) — I included this movie in my 2013 post about “Victims or villains? Librarians in horror films and thrillers“
- Personals (1990, TV movie) — I included this movie in my 2018 post about “Serial killer librarians“
- Tale of a Vampire (1992) — check out my 2012 analysis post for Tale of a Vampire here
- Twisted Nerve (1968) — check out my 2012 analysis post for Twisted Nerve here
- Weird Woman (1944) — check out my 2011 analysis post for Weird Woman here
- The Wicker Man (1973) — check out my 2016 analysis post for The Wicker Man here
- Wilderness (1996, TV movie) — I included this movie in my 2018 post about “Serial killer librarians“
… and now go and listen to the Fright Club podcast to see which librarians in horror movies DID make the cut! 😀
Do you have some personal faves in our collective lists? Some additional major librarian roles in horror to add to the list? Please leave a comment and share!
- “Fright Club: Librarians in Horror.” MaddWolf.com, 29 Aug. 2021.
- “Fright Club: Library Horror.” MaddWolf.com, 28 Feb. 2021.
- Snoek-Brown, Jennifer. “BONUS! Check out this ‘Fright Club: Library Horror’ podcast.” Reel Librarians, 28 Feb. 2021.