Reel Librarians just turned five!!!!! (One exclamation point for every year, and many more… 😉 ) Scroll down to the bottom of this post for GIVEAWAY info, or take the scenic route and soak up some blogiversary stats.
“Summer of Nostalgia” round-up:
Click the links below if you’d like to catch up on all the previous posts in my “Summer of Nostalgia” blog tour and revisiting favorites from five years of analyzing and blogging about reel librarians.
I ended up choosing 2 posts from 2011; 3 posts from 2012; 3 posts from 2013; 2 posts from 2014; and 1 post each from 2015 and 2016.
- Revisiting favorites | A summer of nostalgia
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Soul and inspiration,’ Nov. 7, 2011
- Revisiting favorites | ‘A brief encounter,’ Nov. 28, 2011
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Comparing two desk sets,’ Jan. 26, 2012
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Marian or Marion?,’ May 28, 2012
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Harry Potter’ librarian, Dec. 4, 2012
- Revisiting favorites | ‘The shushing librarian,’ Feb. 5, 2013
- Revisiting favorites | Serial killer librarian, Oct. 30, 2013
- Revisiting favorites | Nancy Drew as librarian, Dec. 3, 2013
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Pride and Prejudice’ librarian, Feb. 18, 2014
- Revisiting favorites | ‘WarGames’ and research, Dec. 31, 2014
- Revisiting favorites | Mandy the Mormon librarian, Aug. 26, 2015
- Revisiting favorites | ‘Spotlight’ on a news library, May 4, 2016
Quick stats comparison:
Looking back over the previous “blog anniversary” posts, I decided to do a little comparison to see how this blog has grown.
- 2012 (1 year): 19,000+
- 2016 (5 years): 155,000+
Total views on busiest day:
- 2012 (1 year): 219 (April 10, 2012)
- 2016 (5 years): 2,448 (August 22, 2013)
- 2012 (1 year): 165
- 2016 (5 years): 628
- 2012 (1 year): 153 posts + 21 pages
- 2016 (5 years): 366 posts + 21 pages
- 2012 (1 year): 121
- 2016 (5 years): 3,794
Daily visits, average:
- 2012 (1 year): 65
- 2016 (5 years): 107
- 2012 (1 year): 45
- 2016 (5 years): 367
Previous blog anniversary posts:
- 2012: Celebrate! One year blog-iversary
- 2013: Happy anniversary + reel librarian giveaway
- 2014: Reel Librarians blog turns 3!
- 2015: Celebrating four years of Reel Librarians!
Top 10 most popular posts this past year:
- The Killing Kind vs. The Attic — still going strong with over 10,000 total views
- Librarian t-shirt collection — over 1,700 views this past year and over 4,000 total views
- Marian or Marion? — over 1,400 views this year and almost 4,500 total views (and one of my personal favorites!)
- Naughty Librarians (ladies, take it away)
- The Jedi librarian
- You, Me, Dupree, and the Naughty Librarian (another one of my personal favorites!)
- First impressions: Monsters University
- Harry Potter and Madam Pince (another one of my personal favorites!)
- Reel librarians with ‘A Bone to Pick’
- How to spot the difference between a bookstore and a library onscreen
5th blog anniversary GIVEAWAY:
To help celebrate five years of reel librarian fun and film analyses, I am also personally hosting a giveaway, to help say THANK YOU to all the readers and followers of this website and blog.
One lucky reader will win a $25 e-gift card from one of my favorite online stores, Out of Print, which offers literary-themed t-shirts, tote bags, coffee mugs, and other items.
Out of Print has items with artwork from classic works, like Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice (I have the purple P&P tee), literary terms (my husband owns the “Plot” tee), as well as collections like the Library Collection (I have the library stamp tee, library card socks, and library card pouch from this collection) and the Banned Books Collection (I also have the banned books pouch).
Note: Out of Print is not sponsoring this giveaway or this site. I’m just a personal fan! The e-gift card giveaway prize is coming out of my own pocket, as a personal thank you to readers.
This giveaway opens today and will be open through next Tuesday, Sept. 27, at 10 p.m. PST. This giveaway is also open to international readers. The winner will be chosen at random, and I will contact the winner by email soon after the giveaway closes. I will post the winner and winning entry on this blog on Wednesday morning, Sept. 28.
Leave a comment on this post to let me know how you follow the Reel Librarians website and blog — or even if this is your first time!).
(Please note that the comment box requires an email address, but this info is not open to the general public.)
Bonus entries (3 more chances to win!):
- Leave a separate comment on this post about one of your favorite posts on this blog. In your comment, please include the post link and a bit about why it’s one of your personal faves.
- Share this giveaway via Twitter and/or Facebook, and leave a separate comment on this post with applicable links.
- Browse the Out of Print website and leave a separate comment on this post with a favorite item from the site.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for entering the giveaway! Good luck, and I’ll be back next week with the winner of the 5th anniversary giveaway! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀
38 thoughts on “5th blog anniversary + giveaway”
Thanks, Nicole! 🙂
Yay for the anniversary! Mandatory stuff: I actually follow this blog in my WordPress Reader, which sort of counts as visiting weekly, only not quite.
Additional stuff: your stats actually make me a little sad. I’ve never had a 219-view day in more than 2 1/2 years of blogging, and my total views are still well below your first year’s. The average daily visits for my first year was in the single digits (it’s higher now, but well below 65). I guess I’m working on a more obscure subject, and it comes with the territory.
Ooh, WordPress Reader, I should add that to the options on the post! Thanks for that. And I don’t post stats for any kind of comparison to other blogs or sites — I do it to be transparent and open with readers. But every blog is different, and attracts different kinds of readers, and it just takes time to build a readership. We do this primarily for the love of doing it, right? Just keep putting excellent work out there! 🙂
Congratulations! I follow by email.
Thanks, Emily — and congrats again on winning the giveaway! 🙂
Not sure if I’m doing this right, but my separate comment for the bonus entry is that my favourite item from the Out of Print website is this Alice In Wonderland sweatshirt – https://www.outofprintclothing.com/collections/alice-in-wonderland/products/alice-im-wunderland-unisex-long-sleeve-fleece – great site!
Yep, you’re doing it right! 🙂
I follow via my RSS aggregator. Thank you! Love your blog
Thanks so much, Beverly, for being a Reel Librarians reader! 🙂
Hands down my favorite blog post is https://reel-librarians.com/2016/01/27/stylish-female-reel-librarians/ — Stylish Female Librarians. I loved looking at how the librarians dressed in those movies!
That’s nice to hear! I should think about doing a follow-up to that post, to feature more stylish reel librarians!
Congrats on your 5th blog anniversary!
I follow using Bloglovin’
Thanks, Serena! 🙂
I love your post on Librarians from TV Shows. It helped me realize that librarians are featured on a lot more shows than I realized, and helped give me more shows that I want to watch.
It’s true, librarians are in a lot of TV shows — so many that I decided to just maintain a list of TV shows rather than try to watch them all! I have enough films to watch without having to add TV shows to the mix! 🙂
I absolutely love so many items from Out of Print, but if I have to pick one item I love the most, I’d have to go with the Library Stamp sweatshirt.
Nice choice! I have the library stamp tee in grey — and I even kind of want the version in that dark purple color
I follow through bloglovin 🙂 username is fatmashahinn
My fav item from the store is definitely the Pride and Prejudice crewneck. It’s beautiful and I LOVE P&P ❤
Yay! I have the P&P tee in purple ❤
This is my first visit but I’m SO GLAD I FOUND THIS. This speaks to my soul as a former potential librarian (although I suppose I’m still a potential librarian). Thank you for doing this very important work.
Awwwww, that’s so sweet to find a kindred librarian-minded spirit! I often joke that I watch some of these films — the really bad ones — so y’all don’t have to, LOL! 🙂
Congrats on your anniversary! I get updates that you’ve posted a new entry through facebook. 🙂
Thanks, Apryl! Hard to believe it’s been 5 years already 🙂
Hello! This is my mandatory post, and this is actually my third time tuning in. I heard of your blog from Sam himself! I am not subscribed, I just check in every now and again 🙂 Can’t wait to read more of your work!
Thanks, Aubrey, for checking in 🙂
Alright, this is my second entry post! I browse Out of Print quite often, but find myself overwhelmed by all the options (I want it all!). Recently, I’ve had my eye on their new Corduroy t-shirts, but it’s so hard to pick when there are so many.
They also had a “Catcher in the Rye” necklace that was shaped like Holden’s red hunting cap, but it’s been out of stock every time I check. 😦
Sam just ordered one of the new Corduroy tees — a couple of years after he wrote and asked them to pleeeeeeeeease have them available in adult sizes and not just in children’s sizes 🙂
I only just began following your blog, but I enjoyed revisiting your older posts that you featured here. So now I’m following you via email list. New and excited reader!
Thanks so much, Jude, for revisiting older posts, and welcome to the (sometimes) wacky and wonderful world of Reel Librarians! 🙂