It’s time for another “Quotable Librarian” round-up! This time, the quotes are generalizations about theoretical, or would-be, librarians. The emphases in the quotations below are mine. (Also, the films in question may not actually include a reel librarian, just a description of a librarian.)
Juno MacGuff: The funny thing is that Steve Rendazo secretly wants me. Jocks like him always want freaky girls. Girls with horn-rimmed glasses and vegan footwear and Goth makeup. Girls who play the cello and wear Converse All-Stars and want to be children’s librarians when they grow up. Oh yeah, jocks eat that shit up.
Beautiful Girls (1996):
Gina: At first, after the breakup, you’ll have these visions. Of you alone, 57,58, walking around, wearing a nightgown, your hair in a bun, maybe you’re a librarian, heating up a can of soup for one, and worrying about the cobwebs that are growing in your womb.
Woman in Bakery Line: You have to admit it’s your own fault. If you have named her Sophie or Ella you wouldn’t be having this problem. But you gave her an Edna name.
Eliza: A what?
Woman in Bakery Line: You know, an Edna name? Like Mabel or Agnes or Velma…
Bakery Clerk: Yeah, like lesbian librarian names.
- [click here for a post about reel librarian character names]
- [click here for a post about anonymous librarian characters]
The Ugly Truth (2009):
Mike Chadway: [to Abby, on how to attract a guy] You have to be two people. The saint and the sinner. The librarian and the stripper.
- Beautiful Girls. Dir. Ted Demme. Perf. Matt Dillon, Timothy Hutton, Michael Rapaport, Mira Sorvino, Rosie O’Donnell, Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman. Miramax, 1996.
- Juno. Dir. Jason Reitman. Perf. Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney. Fox, 2007.
- Motherhood. Dir. Katherine Dieckmann. Perf. Uma Thurman, Anthony Edwards, Alice Drummond. John Wells Productions, 2009.
- The Ugly Truth. Dir. Robert Luketic. Perf. Katherine Heigl, Gerard Butler. Columbia, 2009.