This 1952 Technicolor film, She’s Working Her Way Through College, stars Virginia Mayo as “Hot Garters Gertie,” a former burlesque dancer who has saved up to go to college. The write-up for this movie on the TCM schedule started out with this eyebrow-raising tagline:
Let other coeds wait tables or shelve library books. Burlesque queen Hot-Garters Gertie is working her way through college one article of clothing at a time!
Hoping for a glimpse of the college library, I watched this musical comedy (which, bizarrely, features a song about inflation), which also co-stars Ronald Reagan as Professor (!) John Palmer. There are closeups of classrooms, the gymnasium and football rallies, but alas, no library — or librarian — to be seen, thereby landing this film into the Class V category.
Interestingly, this film is a loose adaptation of the 1942 film The Male Animal, starring Olivia de Havilland and Henry Fonda as the professor (much more believable, eh?). As the plotline is centered around a college campus, I had also recently watched The Male Animal in hopes of spying a library, but a no-go on that score, as well.
If you would like to see some coeds who do work their way through college by shelving books, etc., in the library (something that I did, as well, during both my undergrad and grad school years!), I would recommend checking out:
- June Allyson as Connie in Good News (1947)
- Robert Downey, Jr. as Alex in Chances Are (1989)
- Ali MacGraw as Jenny in Love Story (1970)
- Hayley Mills as Susan in Twisted Nerve (1968)
By the way, Happy Christmas! 🙂
- The TCM Top Twelve for December (journeysinclassicfilm.com)
- My super ex-girlfriend is not a librarian (reel-librarians.com)
- How Your Campus Library Can Save Your (College) Life (morethanatestscore.com)